ENTREPRENEUR OF THE WEEK- OBA OTUDEKO CFR
Oba Otudeko CFR is a renowned businessman who serves as the founder and chairman of the Honeywell Group, a conglomerate based in Nigeria was operates in diversified businesses such as foods and agriculture, telecommunication and infrastructure, real estate and financial services.
During the Centenary anniversary of Nigeria in 2014, the Federal Government recognised the Honeywell Group among the top 100 companies in the country.
Oba Otudeko CFR is a foremost and visionary Nigerian entrepreneur reputed for his highly successful domestic and foreign investments cutting across diverse sectors of the economy.
He also serves as chair of FBN Holdings and founder of the Oba Otudeko Foundation
PROFILE OF OBA OTUDEKO CFR
- Oba Otudeko CFR was born in Ibadan, Oyo State, South-West Nigeria on 18 August 1943 to a royal family.
- He studied Accountancy at the Leeds College of Commerce Leeds, Yorkshire, United Kingdom (which is now part of the Leeds Beckett University).
- Professionally, he is a Chartered Banker, Chartered Accountant and a Chartered Corporate Secretary.
- He has also attended executive management training programmes at International Institute for Management Development (IMD), Harvard Business School and Hult International Business School (then known as Arthur D. Little School of Management).
- He was in bank employment for 23 years, rising to become the General Manager and acting Chief Executive Officer of then Cooperative Bank, Ibadan from where he retired in 1983.
- He was appointed as a Director to the Board of the Central Bank of Nigeria by the Federal Government of Nigeria.
- He served on the Boards of Central Bank of Nigeria (1990–1997), Guinness Nigeria Plc. (1999–2003), British American Tobacco Ltd (2001–2004) and Ecobank Transnational Incorporated, headquartered in Lome, Togo (2002–2010). Between September 2006 and August 2009 and also on the Board of the NEPAD Business Group – Nigeria.
- He was Chairman of the Nigerian-South African Chamber of Commerce (NSACC) and aimed to facilitate investment flows into Nigeria. During his tenure as the NSACC Chairman, the volume of Nigeria-South Africa bilateral trade grew significantly from $16.5 million in 1999 to $2.9 billion in 2010.
- He was Chairman of the Business Support Group (BSG) for delivery of the National Integrated Infrastructure Master Plan (NIIMP).
- In 2013, he was also appointed the chairman of the Digital Africa Conference Exhibition in Abuja, Nigeria.
- He was elected the 16th President of the Nigerian Stock Exchange in September 2006.
- He has at various points been the Chairman of Airtel Nigeria Limited and Fan Milk of Nigeria Plc.
- He holds the Nigerian National Honour of Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic (CFR) awarded in 2011.
- He was Chancellor of the Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ogun State.
- He is happily married with children.
- Honorary Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) from Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye. Honorary Doctor of Science in Banking and Finance from Crescent University, Abeokuta, Ogun State.
- Honorary Doctor of Science Degree (D.Sc.) from Ajayi Crowther University, Oyo Town, Oyo State.
- Entrepreneur of the Year Award at the ThisDay Awards in 2009.
- Ernst & Young Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Leadership Newspaper Business Person of the Year 2015.
- Silverbird Extraordinary Lifetime Achievement Award.
- The 2016 Africa CEO Forum’s Africa CEO of the Year Award.