MOTIVATIONAL PERSONALITY OF THE WEEK- ADE ADEFEKO
Ade Adefeko is
the current Vice President Corporate & Government Relations and also in
charge of the External Communication and Stakeholder Management at OLAM NIGERIA,
a subsidiary of OLAM international of Singapore, the parent company with a
presence in 70 countries and the largest Agri-business and Food company in
His 27-year professional career spans diverse sectors including Broadcast/ Pay-Tv, FMCG Banking and Sports industry etc. Where he held the senior management roles in Treasury, Credit and Operations.
Prior to joining OLAM, Ade played a pivotal role in broadcast policy advocacy as Head Corporate Communications and Public Affairs with Multi-Choice Africa’s Nigerian subsidiary before joining British American Tobacco as Area Head of Communication and Regulatory Affairs for Benin, Niger and Togo based in Nigeria, where he managed core regulatory issues in the highly sensitive West African Tobacco industry.
PROFILE OF ADE ADEFEKO
- Ade Adefeko is the son of a retired diplomat who was exposed to travelling at an early age, he spent a greater part of his early childhood in different parts of the world. Towards the latter part of the early 1980s, his family returned to Nigeria
- Upon his return to Nigeria, He attended one of the Unity schools – Federal Government College Odogbolu, Ogun state.
- In an interview with Funke Osae-Brown, he said “I can say I am a commercial diplomat, I constantly strive to initiate, nurture and sustain relationships be it business or social. Without being immodest, it has been a positive and progressive journey and can only get better.”
- Despite his busy schedules, He still finds time to relax. He relaxes by spending time with his family, listening to music and watching movies with his wife. He is a lover of different genres of music and movies. A football aficionado and Arsenal fan.
- He also loves to travel. His job has seen him travel to different countries in Africa and the world. Some of his favourites places include; Nairobi for its vibrant ambience, Kigali for its orderliness and cleanliness and Johannesburg for its cosmopolitan appeal. In Europe, London because he has lots of friends and family, Paris for its art, culture and cuisine. Having travelled to thirty-four of the nation’s thirty-six states, Chappal Waddi, the highest peak on Mambilla Plateau in Taraba State is his favourite tourist spot in Nigeria. He also loves Lagos for the vibe and energy of the city.
- He enjoys reading a variety of books. For him, part of what makes a great leader is the ability to learn something new every day. His favourite books are on leadership and followership.
- According to Him, what makes a good leader are three Cs – Courage, Credibility and Competence and in addition have Empathy. “Courage to lead, competence to execute, and credibility as it goes hand in hand with competence. Empathy is shown to those being led.”
- Ade is a polyglot, an avid writer, with a weekly column in Leadership Newspaper and a tenure as a football pundit on SuperSport.
- He is also on the advisory board of the African Wealth Report (AWR) and SYNERGOS Nigeria’s State Partnership for Agriculture (SPA) in non-executive capacities.
- He is also the current Chairman of the Nigerian Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture Export Action Group (NACCIMA) NEXAG.”
“Leadership and Learning is indispensable to each other” – John F. Kennedy.
Ade Adefeko has this two traits and more.
He is an ideal role model for the youths of Nigeria to emulate.
Wish you more milestones in your career.