MOTIVATIONAL PERSONALITY OF THE WEEK- ADEBOLA WILLIAMS
Adebola Williams a.k.a ‘Debola Lagos’ is a Nigerian media entrepreneur, journalist, political activist and motivational speaker. He is the Group CEO of Red.
His brand ‘‘RED’’, holds high influence media and communication platforms which include Red Media Africa, StateCraft Inc., Church Culture, Generation Y!, and The Future Project. It boasts of flagship youth media brands like Y!/YNaija.com, Rubbin’ Minds, and The Future Awards Africa (TFAA).
Mr Adebola has also spoken for the African Union at Harvard and NYU Stern universities. He is an alumnus of the London School of Journalism, London School of Marketing and Pan Atlantic University, Lagos. Adebola is also a member of the African Leadership Network (ALN) and Global Change-maker with the British Council.
His career in media and television began at the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) with advocacy for youth and eventually good governance. Described as “the man with the golden touch” by Ghanaian President Nana Akufo-Addo, and was profiled by Forbes as the man who helped elect a trifecta of Presidents in Africa.
Adebola crusades on entrepreneurship, leadership and impact change focusing on youth across the world. His accolades include The Top 100 of Our Generation UK, a Global Changemaker by the British Council CNBC Young Business Leader, Forbes 30 under 30 entrepreneurs, and Business Day 49 under 40.
PROFILE OF ADEBOLA WILLIAMS
- Adebola Williams was born on the 7th of March 1986 to a wealthy family, but when he was 10, his family lost everything they had so he had to struggle.
- In his early teen years, Williams wanted to become an actor and was paid only 50 cents for his first acting role, thus he decided to quit.
- Afterwards, he started working as an assistant with a counsellor and a psychologist as a freelancer without any relevant qualification by which time he had chalked up 3 years worthy experience with the Nigerian Television Authority.
- As Adebola started gaining experience as a volunteer, jobs trickled in. He got a job as a producer with Economic Watch reporting business shows and earned far beyond what his peers could muster.
- He is the Group CEO of Red, founded in 2005. Red Media spans content, communication and development with an independent management team. Red Media is a leading media company with a major focus on youth-centred themes.
- His brand ‘‘Red’’, is Africa’s largest portfolio of youth media brands which include Red Media Africa, StateCraft Inc, The Future Awards Africa and YNaija.com.
- He co-founded EnoughisEnough (EiE), a Nigerian civic participation platform and a voice for young people in politics. He resigned as the board chairman to steer the rebranding of the current Nigerian president, Muhammadu Buhari, optimizing media engagement to change longstanding perceptions and sway the elections. A consequent success in Ghana helped the opposition candidate win the presidency on his third attempt, and Williams currently consults in other regions in the continent.
- Adebola was active behind the scenes in the emergence of President Muhammadu Buhari as Nigeria’s Head of State, and successfully managed the now President’s media campaign with his co-founder friend of 12 years, Chude Jideonwo.
- Mr Adebola, the actor has performed in plays like ‘Wedlock of the gods ‘, ‘The gods are not to blame’, and Oke Langbodo’. These were key in earning him a Lagos State Government award at the Nigerian National Theatre, Top 100 UK selected Williams in 2007 and 2008 as one of the Top 100 of his generation.
- He was also endorsed as Global Change-Maker by the British Council in 2009, whilst attending the World Economic Forum in Cape Town and the Change-Maker’s Conference.
- In 2010, the United Nation’s Population Fund (UNFPA) invited him to work on the African Youth Charter as a youth expert in Zimbabwe.
- His work in corporate marketing and communication in different decrypts from oil and gas to banking, technology to fast-moving consumer goods has earned him and Red Media Africa several awards on the continent from SABRE Lapriga, Marketing Edge, Young Cannes and the C4F Marketing awards in Davos.
- He is presently a producer in the Amstel Malta Office reality TV show.
- Adebola crusades on entrepreneurship, leadership and impact change focusing on youth across the world. His accolades include The Top 100 of Our Generation UK, a Global Changemaker by the British Council CNBC Young Business Leader, Forbes 30 under 30 entrepreneurs, and Business Day 49 under 40.
- A man of many parts (An actor, a TV producer, a journalist, entrepreneur, youth development advocate and the co-founder of Red Media Africa), Mr Adebola Williams once said; “I knew I had to survive, because, at an early age, I realized that my life is my life and that if it got messed up, it was my life. So I made a conscious effort to make it better.”