Motivational Personality of the Week- Chief Bode Akindele
PROFILE OF BODE AKINDELE
- Chief Bode Akindele is a Nigerian billionaire and one of the richest individuals in Africa.
- He hails from Oyo state and is popularly known as the Parakoyi of Ibadan-land. Chief Bode Akindele is a business tycoon. His business centres majorly on maritime, properties, agriculture and manufacturing sectors.
- He started his education at Olubi Memorial School, Ibadan and later moved to Lisabi Grammar School, Abeokuta.
- Chief Akindele started his business career with the invention of Modondola Group of Companies with interest in manufacturing, real estate, maritime and agriculture.
- Fast-forward, Modondola group became popular in Nigeria, and so Akindele decided to spread his tentacles outside the shores of the country.
- Thereafter, he moved to the United Kingdom where he registered his name as a corporate player in properties which then gave birth to the Fairgate Group.
- A group that deals majorly in properties in the streets of London.
- Despite his achievements in London, he did not bask in the euphoria of his riches and that prompted his interest in Swedish market where most people believed he had the biggest breakthrough of his business career.
- Today, he controls more than one-third of the world’s match market.
- Subsequently, he moved to the United states where he also invested in properties as well as blue-chip American companies.
- His successes have attracted visitors, clergymen and well-wishers who have come to felicitate with him during the live broadcast of his annual service of ‘Nine Lessons and Carols’ in collaboration with the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN), at his residence.
- Chief Akindele’s wealth did not stop him from participating in religious activities, according to him, the Christmas Carol started in 1980 among his family members. But in 1992, it became big and in the last 26 years, it has become a national broadcast during Christmas.
- When asked in one of his interviews how he has been able to sustain his for over six decades, chief Akindele has this to say “It’s God’s grace. Again, there is a saying that whatever you came you have to protect it. It revolves around your background.
- If you know how you come about your wealth you will protect it. It’s not difficult to maintain discipline in one’s endeavours if one was raised by a disciplined family.
- For instance, many people believe the secret to running a successful business lies in going to a business school. “Business schools broaden one’s horizon. It is good and there is no harm in acquiring knowledge.
- Mind you, the world is changing and if you want to use my own business model that I adopted 40 or 50 years back it may be outdated and may not work. But one thing that never fails is discipline and hard work.”
- Chief Akindele is happily married with many successful children in Nigeria and beyond.