Motivational Personality of the week – OTUNBA GBENGA DANIEL (OGD)
PROFILE OF OTUNBA OLUGBENGA DANIEL
- Otunba Olugbenga Daniel was born on 6 April 1956 in Ibadan.
- He was born into the family of Rt. Rev. Adebola Daniel of Makun Sagamu and Madam Olaitan Daniel, of Omu Ijebu in Ogun State, Nigeria.
- He attended Baptist Boys High School, Abeokuta 1969-1973. The Polytechnic Ibadan for his A’Level and therefore proceeded to the school of Engineering of the University of Lagos. As an undergraduate, he won several scholarships that made him outstanding.
- Otunba Gbenga Daniel is a businessman and a Politician.
- He became a Fellow of the Nigerian Society of Engineers. He taught briefly as a lecturer in the school of Engineering of Lagos Polytechnic.
- In 1983, he obtained a job with Schroeder (W.A) Limited, Lagos, rising to Deputy Managing Director becoming the first African to hold that position in the history of the company. He left Schroeder to start his own business.
- In 1990, he founded Kresta Laurel, an Engineering firm specializing in elevators, overhead travelling cranes and hoists.
- He ran for the gubernatorial election in April 2003 under the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.
- He was again reelected in 2007 and ceased being Governor in 2011. He has the longest service year as Governor in the history of Ogun State.
- In 2007, he acquired the Chiefly title of Otunba of the Egba and Ijebu clans.
- He promoted Entrepreneurship among the Youth and established many Youth Development Programmes.
- As Governor, he built the Gateway International Stadium and it was the site of the 2009 FIFA U-17 World Cup which was held in Nigeria.
- In February 2009, Daniel authorized reduction of fees at the state- owned Moshood Abiola Polytechnic to #7,000. This followed negotiations with National Association of Nigerian Students after parents and students protested recent increase of fees.
- After handing over power as Governor, Gbenga Daniel went back to his company Kresta Laurel and continued funding Youth Development Initiatives within Ogun State.
- He is married to Yeye Olufunke Daniel and has a child Adebola Irede Daniel.