MOTIVATIONAL PERSONALITY OF THE WEEK – BENEDICT MURRAY-BRUCE
Benedict Murray-Bruce (OON), is a Nigerian business industrialist and politician. He is the Founder and Chairman of Silverbird Group – Nigerian multinational real estate, mass media and entertainment company headquartered in Lagos Nigeria.
Popularly known and addressed as Ben Bruce, made his mainstream entry into Nigerian politics in March 2015, representing Bayelsa State East constituency at the Senate of the Nigeria National Assembly. He is a card carrying member of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
Ben serves in the board of several leading organizations and institutions in Nigeria and beyond. He has received several accolades and awards based on his expertise and hard work. He continues to advocate for better life and treatment of Nigeria’s through his “Common Sense” principles.
PROFILE OF BENEDICT MURRAY-BRUCE
- BENEDICT MURRAY-BRUCE was born on 18th February, 1956 he is aged 64.
- He was born in Lagos to Ijaw parents of Mullighan and Margaret Murray-Bruce who both hail from Akassa, Bayelsa State, Nigeria.
- He attended Our Lady of Apostles, Yaba, Lagos where he completed his Primary Education and St. Gregory College, Obalande, where he obtained his West African School Certificate.
- He then attended the University of South Carolina in the United States, where he received a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing in 1979.
- Ben has served in various public positions, amongst which is the Director-General of Nigerian Television Authority from 1999-2003.
- He is the Major Promoter of Miss Universe Nigeria Pageant in 1983, Miss Intercontinental Pageant 1986-1994 and the Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria Pageant in 1986.
- He is currently a member of Board of National Arts Theatre, Nigerian Film Cooperation, Federal Film Censor Board, National Film Distribution Company and Nigerian Anti-Piracy Action Committee.
- He was screened out of the Governorship elections in Bayelsa State in 2011. Then in October of 2014, he declared his interest to via for the senatorial seat of Bayelsa East, still under the People’s Democratic Party and he won this election.
- He is an orator, widely read, travelled and well exposed personality, with great decorum. He also continues to speak on topical issues affecting businesses and the lives of Nigerians.
- He has many feathers added to his cap as Showbiz Icon of the year Award (2005), “Top Ten” significant Nigerian Business Award 2006, “Life Achiever Award” 2006, Champion for Nation Building Award” 2007, “Excellent Personality Award” 2009, Officer of the Order of the Niger,2014.
- He was married to Late Evelyn Murray-Bruce (who died in March 2020) and together they have four children. His marriage to Late Evelyn was for about 41years.
Photo credit – Premium Times