MOTIVATIONAL PERSONALITY OF THE WEEK- DR. OSAGIE EHANIRE
Dr. Osagie Ehanire is the current Minister of Health, Federal Republic of Nigeria; appointed by President Buhari in August 2019.
He was previously the Minister of State for Health serving intellectually throughout his appointment from November 2015 to 2019.
He is a well-known expert in the medical field and has been deploying his enormous wealth of knowledge across borders to turn around the health sector both in his own state of origin and Nigeria as a whole.
In the advent of the current pandemic situation in Nigeria, he and his team has been at the frontline of the war against Covid-19 in Nigeria, working endlessly to ensure the safety of all Nigerians and to keep us abreast with the current status.
We, at (Vi-M) wish to recognize and appreciate his efforts so far in curbing the spread of the virus (Covid-19) and his interminable service to humanity as a whole.
PROFILE OF DR. OSAGIE EHANIRE
- Dr. Osagie Emmanuel Ehanire was born on 4 November 1946 in Oredo Local Government Area of Edo State.
- He attended Government College Ibadan in Oyo State for his West African School Certificate where he excelled at his Higher School Certificate examination.
- He went on to study Medicine at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich in Germany, qualifying as a Surgeon.
- He went on to the Teaching Hospital of the University of Duisburg and Essen and to the BG Accident Hospital in Duisburg, Germany for his post graduate education.
- In 1976, he attended the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland where he obtained a postgraduate Diploma in Anaesthetics.
- He got his Board Certification in both General Surgery and Orthopaedic Trauma Surgery at the Medical Board of North Rhine Westphalia in Dusseldorf, Germany.
- In 1984, he became a Fellow of West African College of Surgeons.
- He worked in Germany as a Resident Anesthesiologist, Resident Vascular Surgeon and Resident General Surgeon in Thoracic Surgery at various hospitals.
- He also served as Clinical Instructor, Fracture Internal Fixation Course at BG Accident Hospital in Duisburg, Germany.
- He returned to Nigeria in 1982, where he worked at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital as Senior Registrar in the Department of Surgery (Orthopaedic Surgery), a position he held until 1984.
- He later joined the Shell Petroleum Development Company Hospital as a Divisional Consultant Surgeon between 1985-1990.
- He also served at various times on the Medical Review Board of Edo State Hospital Management Board.
- He remains as a Trustee of TY Danjuma Foundation.
- As a seasoned politician and technocrat, He was appointed as a delegate of Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) to the political merger conference that gave birth to the All Progressive Congress (APC), the name which he coined.
- He was Edo State Coordinator for the Buhari Support Organisation (BSO), ensuring the victory of President Muhammadu Buhari at the 2015 presidential election.
- In October 2015, he made the list of ministerial nominees to serve the Buhari led administration. After being screened and cleared by the National Assembly, he was appointed as the Minister of State for Health in November 2015.
- Upon resuming office as the Minister of State for Health, he applied his knowledge, experience, and prowess to the sector and gave it a newer, better shape. His prominent achievement then include – the revitalization of more than 10, 000 Primary Health facilities across the 774 Local Government Council in the nation which gained rural dwellers access after several years of yearning to free antenatal care for pregnant women, free health care for new-born babies, as well as antiretroviral drugs for people with HIV and AIDs.
- Another noteworthy achievements made by Dr. Osagie Ehanire during his stay as the Minister of State for Health include the lowering of malaria prevalence across the nation by 42/27%, the launching of Tobacco act campaign, promotion of the usual immunization program to lower the risk of polio in Nigeria, introduction of health facilities registry where people can get up-to-the-minute information about the entire health facilities in all the 36 states of the federation through the internet, to mention but a few.
- He also partnered with prominent organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO) and the likes in order to ensure that every Nigerian gets access to qualitative health.
- In May 2019, following the commencement of a new administration, he was among the ministerial nominees submitted to the Senate by the Presidency in July 2019 for screening and he was appointed the Minister of Health in August 2019.
- He is happily married with children.
Celebrate You Sir, Thanks for all you do