MOTIVATIONAL PERSONALITY OF THE WEEK- MR BABAJIDE OLUSOLA SANWO-OLU
Mr. Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu is the current Governor of Lagos State. He was announced the governor under the platform of the All Progressives Congress after contesting and unexpectedly winning the gubernatorial primaries under the All Progressives Congress against incumbent governor, Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State in October 2018.
Before his gubernatorial ambition, He was the Managing Director/CEO of Lagos State Property Development Corporation (LSPDC).
With the arrival of the current pandemic (Coronavirus) in Nigeria, which has been dominant in Lagos, being that it is the centre of excellence; with an estimated population of more than 19million inhabitants. The Governor and his team have been swift in their actions to curb the infinite spread of the virus in Lagos state as well as Nigeria.
They have been at the frontline of the war against Covid-19 in Nigeria, working endlessly to ensure the safety of all Lagosian and to keep us abreast with the current status.
We, at (Vi-M) wish to recognize and appreciate his efforts so far in curbing the spread of the virus (Covid-19) and his perpetual service to humanity as a whole.
PROFILE OF BABAJIDE OLUSOLA SANWO-OLU
- Mr. Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu was born on June 25, 1965 in Lagos, Nigeria.
- He has a B.Sc. in Surveying and an MBA from the University of Lagos.
- He is an alumnus of the John F. Kennedy School of Government, the London Business School and the Lagos Business School.
- He is an associate member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management (CIPM) and fellow of the Nigeria Institute of Training and Development (NITAD).
- He was the treasurer at former Lead Merchant Bank from 1994 to 1997 after which he moved to the United Bank for Africa as the head of foreign money market.
- He then proceeded to First Inland Bank, Plc (now First City Monument Bank) as a deputy general manager and divisional head.
- He was the chairman of Baywatch Group Limited and First Class Group Limited.
- He is a board member of the Department for International Development (DFID/DEEPEN) Fund and Audit Committee of Caverton Offshore Services Group, PLC.
- He began his political career in 2003, when he was appointed a Special Adviser on Corporate Matters to the then deputy governor of Lagos State, Femi Pedro.
- He was later made the acting Commissioner for Economic Planning and Budget until 2007, when he was appointed as the Commissioner for Commerce and Industry by then Governor, Bola Tinubu.
- After the General Elections of 2007, He was appointed Commissioner for Establishments, Training and Pensions by Governor Babatunde Fashola.
- He was made Managing Director/CEO of the Lagos State Development and Property Corporation (LSDPC) by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode in 2016.
- Some of his notable public sector achievements include the supervision of the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) privatization projects. He set up and was the Pioneer Board Chairman of Lagos Security Trust Fund. The LAGBUS System and the Control & Command Centre in Alausa were subsequently established under his directives.
- On 16 September 2018, Babajide Olusola Sanwo-Olu formally declared his intention to run for the office of the governor of Lagos State under the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Party, making him a major contender to the incumbent governor Akinwunmi Ambode.
- His declaration attracted endorsements from major stakeholders in Lagos State politics; including the Governor’s Advisory Council of the Lagos chapter of the All Progressives Congress and members of the Lagos State House of Assembly.
- He won the Lagos gubernatorial primaries of the All Progressives Congress (APC) on 2 October 2018.
- At the APC flag-off campaign rally held on 8 January 2019, Governor of Lagos, Akinwunmi Ambode, and 63 political parties lent their support for the candidacy of Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
- In a landslide victory over his opponent, Jimi Agbaje, Sanwo-Olu was elected to the Office of Governor of Lagos State at the 2019 General elections for Lagos State which held on 9 March 2019.
- He was sworn in as the 15th Governor of Lagos State at the Tafawa Balewa Square (TBS) Lagos Island on Wednesday May 29, 2019.
- He has been working on different development activities, one of which is road construction across major areas in Lagos state. Recently, he asked that the statue of Fela Kuti that was erected by Former Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode be removed from Allen Avenue in Ikeja as he aims to ease the situation of traffic in that area. However, the statue is said to be relocated to a more convenient area in Lagos state.
- His humble nature has been displayed severally with one being when he sometime last year that he will appreciate to be addressed as Mr Governor not His Excellency, his reason been that only God Almighty can be addressed as Excellency.
- He has obtained a variety of awards in his career, some of which include: Platinum award from the Lagos State Public Service Club, 2009 Best in Human Capital Development award from the Industrial Training Fund (ITF), Merit award from the Association of National Accountants of Nigeria, Merit award from the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management in Nigeria (CIPMN), Merit Award from the Association of Professional Women Engineers of Nigeria (APWEN), LSDPC Impactful Leadership and Recognition Award.
- He is married with children to Dr. Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu. He is a devout Christian and worships with the Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries.
- He and his beloved wife recently tested Negative to Coronavirus, we, at (Vi-M) are delighted about the result and encourage our dogged Governor to please stay safe and continue his tremendous work in Lagos state.
Celebrate You Sir, Thanks for all you do