Motivational Personality of the Week – SEYI MAKINDE
PROFILE OF SEYI MAKINDE
- Born on the 25th of December, 1967 to Late Pa Olatunbosun Makinde and Madam Abigail Makinde in Oja’ba, Ibadan.
- He had his primary and secondary education in Ibadan and gained admission to the University of Lagos in 1985, where he obtained a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- In 1990, Seyi Makinde served as a Corp member with Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) of Nigeria where he started as a pupil engineer.
- Afterwards, Gov. Seyi Makinde moved to Rebold International Limited, where he worked as a field Engineer (Eket Operations). He was later made the Field Manager of the company.
- He established his first business, Makon Engineering and Technical Services Limited (METS) in 1997 after working for five years (1992-1997) as the engineering manager with various international oil and gas companies. He was the Group Managing Director of Makon Group of companies until August 2018.
- He is a member of Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE), Oil and Gas Design Engineers of Nigeria (OGDEN), Council for Regulations of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN), International Society of Automation (ISA), Institute of Measurement and Control UK; and American Measurement Institute (AMI).
- He defeated Mr. Adebayo Adelabu of All Progressive Congress (APC) with 157,639 votes and was sworn in on 29th May 2019.
- Setting an example by compliance with the constitution and code of conduct for public officers, he declared his asset and liabilities to Code of Conduct Bureau and made it public.
- His desire for accountability and transparency in governance has been evidence in his appointments and project allocation.
- Monumental to his commitment to improving the road network in Oyo state is the ongoing construction of Apete-Awotan-Akufo road in Ido LG area which connects about 40 communities and villages in Oyo State.
- In April 2020, he signed the Oyo state Agribusiness Development Agency (OYSADA) Bill into law in the bid to promote Agribusiness in the state and to jumpstart the operation of Farm estate projects in Ibadan.
- Some of his philanthropist work include: the construction of boreholes to various communities in Oyo state, provision of electricity transformers to various communities, scholarships to outstanding students from numerous secondary schools across Oyo state, creation of several jobs for Oyo state indigenes through his youth empowerment program initiated in 2006 amongst many others.
- Awards and recognitions of Gov. Seyi Makinde includes:
- Nigerian Union of Journalists (Oyo State Council) – Laudable Contribution to Humanity Merit Award
- National Association of Oke-Ogun Students (Ibadan) – Merit Award
- Fiditi Grammar School (Oyo State) – Old Student Merit Award in appreciation to commitment, dedication and service to the association and humanity
- Junior Chamber International (JCI) University of Calabar Chapter – Entrepreneurial Excellence Award
- Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (Oyo State Chapter) – Gold Merit Award for immense and invaluable contribution to sports development
- Nigerian Association of Social Workers Merit Awards (Oyo State Chapter) – for philanthropic gestures and contribution to Social Care Delivery Services
- CCII National Merit Award
- Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (Ibadan) awarded Seyi “Astute Politician of the Year 2018”
- Irrespective of the surge of the pandemic, Gov. Seyi is working tirelessly to ensure his ongoing work in the state does not stop
- Gov. Seyi Makinde has been instrumental to the fight of COVID-19 in Oyo state. On March 30, 2020, Makinde announced via his social media accounts that he had tested positive for COVID-19 and on April 5, 2020, he revealed that he had received his second negative test result for COVID-19 and was now free of the virus
- He is married to Dr. Esther Makinde and together they have 3 children.
Picture credit – lawcarenigeria.com.