Motivational Personality of the Week – Adenike Ogunlesi
Mrs. Adenike Ogunlesi is the founder of Ruff ‘n’ Tumble, a children’s clothing line which caters to the needs of children from 1 day to 16 years old.
- She started her journey as a Law student in Ahmadu Bello University in 1981 but left in her second year to focus on her creative talents and vigorously pursue her talent in fashion.
- In 1996, Ruff ‘n’ Tumble was born from her making pyjamas for her kids, and it has expanded from her selling her goods from the boot of her car to a location in Victoria Island and now has over 150 employees and 15 branches across the country, in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, Ibadan, and Kwara with distribution along the West African Coast.
- Nike, as she is known, has been a Non-Executive Director of Lafarge Africa Plc. since 11 March 2015 and a mentor at the Mara Foundation.
- She is the founding member and the first president of the Network of Entrepreneurial Women (NNEW) at the Nigeria Employer’s Consultative Association (NECA). She was an advisory board member of the Enterprise Development Centre (EDC) at the Lagos Business School. She is an advisory board member and mentor at WISCAR (Women in Successful Careers) which is a structured mentoring programme for young women.
- Ogunlesi was featured in the Africa Open for Business documentary and was recognized as the Fate Foundation Model Entrepreneur in 2005.
- She has received numerous awards, including the City People Awards for Female Achiever in the Children’s fashion sector in 2001, The Glam Awards 2014 for special honour as a female game changer in the Children’s fashion industry, The Entrepreneur Awards 2014 for Creativity and Excellence, and was a finalist at the CNBC AABLA (All Africa Business Leaders Awards) in the category of the Business Woman of the year 2014.
- She is a Christian, and co-ordinator of the Family and Life Unit of the Catholic Church of the Presentation since January 2012 till date.
She is married to Adegbola Ogunlesi