Motivational Personality of the Week – Bukky George
Bukky George is the Founder and CEO of HealthPlus Nigeria and CasaBella International.
- She was born in the 1970s. She graduated from Queen’s College Yaba, and studied at School of Pharmacy, University of Lagos, graduating with five Best Student awards in 1992. She did her internship in Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH).
- Bukky’s career path started at Glaxo Smith Kline Consumer Nigeria Plc, which was back then known as Smith Kline Beecham, where she served during here National Youth Service Corp (NYSC).
- It was in that company that she got her first corporate experience, working in different units such as sales, production and quality control.
- Bukky George is a Registered Pharmacist with the Pharmacists Council of Nigeria, the General Pharmaceutical Council UK, the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. She is an alumnus of Lagos Business School and also an alumnus of Harvard Business School.
- HealthPlus Nigeria was incorporated in 1996 but began full-time operations three years later in April 1999. With dedication, Bukky and her team built the company into the leading pharmacy chain in Nigeria and indeed, the whole of West Africa.
- By 2014 (barely two decades after HealthPlus was started in a small store at Ikeja GRA), it had already expanded to thirty strategically located branches. The company also had over a hundred and twenty full-time employees and was taking steps to institutionalise the business.
- In 2015, Bukky disclosed plans to further expand the company by adding 48 more branches. As at then, there were more than 45 HealthPlus outlets across Nigeria and some West African countries. With the partnership with Alta Semper Capital, many more branches were on the way.
- She is the Chairman of Sanofi Pharmacy Advisory Board. She is an Associate Member of WIMBIZ, the Chairman of the selection committee for the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Women Entrepreneurship Programme at EDC and was selected for the Fortune 500 Global Women’s Mentoring Program.
- Bukky is a fellow of the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria, she was selected as one of the 23 leaders from 18 emerging economies to participate in the 2014 Fortune/U.S. State Department Global Women’s Mentoring program. In the same month, she joined the President, World Bank Group; CEO, The Goldman Sachs Group; and CEO, IFC on a panel to discuss Access to Capital for Women Entrepreneurs and the signing of The Women Entrepreneurs Opportunity Facility- the first-ever global finance facility dedicated exclusively to women-owned small and medium-sized enterprises.
- Her awards include: Winner, Harvard Business School Association of Nigeria (HBSAN) Leadership Awards for the Entrepreneurship Category; Winner, Woman Entrepreneur of the Year (Access Bank); Finalist, EY Entrepreneur of the Year; and Finalist in the Business Woman of the Year Category of the CNBC All African Business Leaders Awards.
- Bukky and her husband, Charles Babajide George, live in Lagos, Nigeria with their four children.