Motivational Personality of the Week – Mr. Godwin Emefiele
Profile of Mr. Godwin Emefiele
Godwin Emefiele, a lecturer and an icon in the Nigerian Banking and Finance sector. He is currently the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) – the apex bank in the country. Prior to this appointment, he served as an Executive Director responsible for Corporate Banking, Treasury, Financial Control and Strategic Planning at Zenith Bank Plc (ZBPlc).
In 2001, he was elevated to Deputy Managing Director of ZBPlc and later rose to the Managing Director of the Bank, before his appointment as the Governor of the CBN.
Mr. Emefiele is also the chairman of the West Africa Monetary Zone (WAMZ).
- Mr. Godwin Emefiele was born in the early 60’s in Lagos Nigeria.
- He comes from Ika South Local Government area in Delta State.
- He had his primary and secondary education in Lagos and obtained his necessary certifications accordingly.
- He is an alumnus of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in Enugu State where he obtained his first degree in Banking and Finance.
- Due to dedication and hard work, he further obtained his second degree (an MBA) as the Best Graduating Student in Finance from the same university.
- He went on to deepen his academic prowess in Macroeconomics at the Oxford University.
- He is also an alumnus of the Harvard University, Stanford University and University of Pennsylvania and Wharton Business School where he obtained various academic qualifications and Executive Education studies in Negotiation, Strategy, Leadership, Critical Thinking, Delivering Value/Profit amongst others.
- Prior to his banking exposure and career, Mr. Emefiele was a lecturer at the University of Nigeria Nsukka, and University of Port Harcourt, where he lectured Finance and Insurance respectively.
- He is the current Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, the bankers bank and has over twenty-five years of banking Experience.
- Due to his determination to come-up with banking policies and regulations that will / revive the Nigerian banking landscape, the Governor of the CBN won the 2017 Forbes Best of Africa Innovative Banking Award.
- Mr. Godwin Emefiele serves as a Director in ACCION Microfinance Bank Limited and is a board member of some Zenith subsidiaries.
Picture credit – abulagist.com.ng