Motivational Personality of the Week – Nnamdi Ezeigbo
PROFILE OF NNAMDI EZEIGBO
Mr. Nnamdi Ezeigbo, born on 4 August 1966, hails from Nsukwe, Ubakala Umuahia, Abia State. He is a Nigerian tech entrepreneur and the CEO/ Founder of SLOT Systems Limited, a leading Nigerian tech company, popularly known as SLOT by all and sundry in the country. He is also a Co-Founder of the Tecno and Infinix phone brands, one of the fastest selling mobile phones in Nigeria.
- Nnamdi began his primary education at Pamol Primary School in Sapele, and later proceeded to Ogini Grammar School, Ogharefe, both in Delta State, for his Secondary education from 1979 to 1984.
- He gained admission to study Electrical / Electronics Engineering at the Yaba College of Technology Lagos, in 1988 for his Tertiary education where he graduated with a Higher National Diploma (HND). He proceeded to undertake the compulsory National Youth Service Corps in 1996, with Guinness Nigeria Plc.
- Upon completion of his youth service, he decided to become an apprentice learning how to fix computers after searching for a job to no avail. Barely 6 months into his apprenticeship, however, he decided to move on from his employer because his boss was more into making money than building a solid customer relationship.
- Nnamdi went on to squat with a friend at Ikeja, where he was able to increase his customer base due to his sincerity and customer relationship goals. Luck smiled on him, when an old customer he knew from his days as an apprentice, came to the little shop he shared with his friend to see him. The customer asked him if he could continue fixing his computers, and also requested that Nnamdi moved to a much bigger shop.
- To help him get started, the customer brought some printers for him to sell, from which he used the proceeds to get a bigger shop for himself. He paid N180,000 for the new place and continued with selling computers; he eventually bought the place over, years later for N100 million and so the story of SLOT began.
- Established in 1998, SLOT has gone on to become the people’s brand with trusted products and good customer service. The company has since employed over 700 people and established its presence all over the country with over 50 retail stores and an active online store.
- Nnamdi also studied Computer & Electronics Engineering at the Lagos State University between 1996 and 2001, where he bagged a BSc (Second Class Upper). His quest for further education took him to Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso, for his Master’s in Information Technology (MIT) between 2008/2009.
- Apart from being the Founder of the SLOT Brand, Nnamdi Ezeigbo has spent time and resources to develop budding Entrepreneurs across Nigeria. His impact in the society has helped young entrepreneurs find easier ways of starting their own businesses through the SLOT FOUNDATION.
- As part of his contribution to the development of the society, SLOT Systems Limited trains yearly, 20 Lagos state Technical college teachers, and 20 students at the SLOT ACADEMY through the SLOT FOUNDATION on some cutting-edge technologies required for present age Telecoms industry. Through the FOUNDATION, SLOT ACADEMY has trained and empowered over 150 to 1000 young Nigerians.
- In 2014, Mr. Nnamdi Ezeigbo was awarded with the Nigeria Entrepreneurs Award for Excellence & Business Innovation.