Motivational Personality of the Week- Atedo Peterside
- Atedo Peterside (CON) (born 1955) had his basic education at the King’s College Lagos. He then proceeded to The City University, London (1973-1976) where he obtained a B.Sc. degree in Economics. He obtained an M.Sc. (also in Economics) from London School of Economics and Political Science in 1977.
- He partook in the Owner/President Management Program at the Harvard Business School from 1991-1993 and was conferred an honorary Doctor of Science Degree by the University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
- Peterside founded the Investment Banking and Trust Company Limited (IBTC) in February 1989 at age 33 and served as the bank’s CEO till 2007. The CBN’s banking recapitalization order of 2005 led to the merger of Investment Banking and Trust Company (IBTC) with Chartered Bank Plc and Regent Bank Plc on 19 December 2005 to form IBTC Chartered Bank Plc. On 24 September 2007, IBTC Chartered Bank Plc merged with Stanbic Bank Nigeria Limited to form Stanbic IBTC Holdings Plc, and he was elected chairman of Stanbic IBTC Bank Plc in 2007. He was Group Chairman of Stanbic IBTC Holdings Plc from August 2012 and having overseen a number of regulatory matters through to completion, he announced his resignation on 21 March 2017 with effect from 31 March 2017.
- He sits on the boards of both The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited and Standard Bank Group Limited.
- Atedo is currently the Chairman of ANAP Business Jets Limited which he founded in January 2015. He is also the Presidentand Founder of ANAP Foundation, which is a non-profit organization committed to promoting good governance.
- He is the Non-Executive Chairman of Cadbury Nigeria PLC and also sits on the Board of Directors of Flour Mills of Nigeria PLC, Nigerian Breweries Plc (Heineken Subsidiary) and Unilever Nigeria Plc.
- He was the Chairman of the Committee on Corporate Governance of Public Companies in Nigeria which crafted the first Code of Best Practices for Public Companies operating in Nigeria. The Code was published in October 2003.
- He was a member of the National Economic Management Team during the administration of President Umaru Yar ‘Adua (2007 – 2010) as well as during the administration of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan (2011 – 2015). Between 2011 and May 2015, Mr. Peterside was also a member of the National Council on Privatization (NCP) and was the Chairman of the NCP’s Technical Committee.
- In May 2017, he was appointed as the Alternate Private Sector Vice-Chairman of the Nigerian Industrial Policy and Competitiveness Advisory Council. The Council was inaugurated by the Acting President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria on 30 May 2017.
- He was recognized in 2014 by CNBC Africa as the Business Leader of the Year.
- His recreational interests include boating, polo, reading and travel. Mr. Peterside hails from Rivers State in Nigeria and he is married to Abiodun (Dudun), who hails from Lagos State also in Nigeria. They are blessed with three children (Tokini, Atowari and Tariye).